Sunday, August 21, 2011

Public High School: The Recluse discovers a Mystical Planet

(No, I'm not apologizing for my lack of posts AGAIN. Nope. Not gonna. You can't make me.)

Ah, the cliched "horrors" of public high school. Horrible cafeteria food, brainless jocks, evil teachers, vapid cheerleaders who rule the school, nerds stuck in lockers for the duration of the school year. It's all a lie. Public school isn't like that at all. It's much, much more complex and--to be frank--strange.  If you've ever attended public high school or even just set foot in one, you know what I mean.

I, however, don't know what I mean. The above paragraph was just an assumption because I've never been to public high school.  That's all about to change tomorrow morning at precisely 8:00 AM. "BUT NICOLE," you may exclaim in complete indignation. "You were living a self-proclaimed recluse's dream! How could you give it all up for structure and...public restrooms?"

Dare I say it? I do dare. I want a social life. GASP. Yep, I said it. I want people and extracurriculars and a locker. I like lockers. Sometimes, they're shiny.  Sometimes, they make cool noises when you open them. Heck, I even want the anxiety of trying to figure out what to pack for lunch. And let me tell you, veganism and public school do NOT mix. It doesn't help that I've sworn off sugar and yeast indefinitely.

The school is amazing and I'm happy with my decision. Although I'm going to miss all my friends from online school, instructors with PhDs and all the crazy study sessions that last until 2 am in the morning, I know that I can't be a recluse forever. I'm not exactly long-term recluse material.

So in that vein, I'm changing the name of this blog. The content will pretty much remain the same. You can expect crazy stories about rabid cell phones, rules for leprechaun hunting, and of course, hobos. This blog is nothing without hobos. Say goodbye to the reclusive butterfly because she's leaving her shell behind forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment